You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Of course you can. You also bring in your own mobile phone charger the day they're PAT testing. Then when a boss gets pissy about you're going to set the building on fire you can tell him to fuck off.

Er, no. Charging your own phone in work would be regarded as theft in our place

A pay cut, then?

Same as happened to us a couple of years ago...well, drastically reduced anti social hours enhancements. They protected our pay for 3 years but come October I'll be losing a couple of hundred quid a month.

And don't even start on the restructuring of our service

The only thing that's stopping me is that I havent got time just now

We got told the other week we couldn't charge our mobile phones in work or plug in a radio on overtime. The reason for this is that there was a power outage on the 7th floor one Saturday. Some bell end has decided that it must have been caused by people charging their phones and listening to their radios on our floor which is the first. No evidence of this was given' date=' just filed under the massive "health and safety reasons" banner.

Bearing in mind that our building is a 9 storey building that also has a kitchen area on every level, all the outside is lit up at night, and has a coffee shop on level 1 and was built originally with a restaurant and a large gym so was designed to cope with massive amounts of electricity being used. However, the power going down must have been caused by someone charging their iPhone or listening to the match.[/quote']

A factory that I used to fix equipment in, told all of the warehouse lads that they could no longer listen to the warehouse radio because the company would have to pay for a broadcast licence.

Someone very senior in the company I work with recently said in a meeting "This company isn't interested in the future; it's concentrating on the day today" like that was a good thing. Absolutely stunning really.

At the recent black tie do I attended I was talking to a supplier to this business who said that although she'd had a useful day and evening at this event she'd found it a stark reminder of just how far behind the other 3 big players this company is. Their approach to abso fucking lutely everything is "Oooh. Well no, we don't think that's a good idea. Why? Well because we've never done it before". Deskfan-gate is a perfect metaphor for how this company behaves from top to bottom.

Someone very senior in the company I work with recently said in a meeting "This company isn't interested in the future; it's concentrating on the day today" like that was a good thing. Absolutely stunning really.

At the recent black tie do I attended I was talking to a supplier to this business who said that although she'd had a useful day and evening at this event she'd found it a stark reminder of just how far behind the other 3 big players this company is. Their approach to abso fucking lutely everything is "Oooh. Well no, we don't think that's a good idea. Why? Well because we've never done it before". Deskfan-gate is a perfect metaphor for how this company behaves from top to bottom.

You're not in the employ of a certain sporting club in L4 are you, Redder?

Restructure?

You mean the one that allowed you to start "The Twilight Zone" thread?

That's like a pay rise.

Much as I love you, I'd still rather be in bed at that time.

There's loads but for just a tiny snippet, they've managed to reduce staffing numbers so much that some shifts do not have a qualified Mental Health Officer on duty, a statutory obligation. How do you work that out?

You're not in the employ of a certain sporting club in L4 are you, Redder?

Haha! Nice but no. I'd have thought the fact my employer is 4th in the top 4 in what they do would have put pay to that thought. That particular sports club is much further down that scale at this moment.

Baffling how some large companies in this country manage to get anything done. The company I work for doesn't, hence they're the 4th most successful company of a group of 4 in what they do and will always remain that way due to the general aura of fucktardedness around the place.

I'm always too hot, always have been. When I'm at home I wear shorts and a t shirt whatever the weather and I've always had a desk fan wherever I've worked. I've been in this job for 10 months and have been asking for a desk fan since I started.

Communication over the last 10 months:

Me (to facilities): Can I bring in a desk fan please? I get too hot and have always had one in previous jobs.

Facilities: Ooh no, we'd have to get it checked out and all that.

Me: Okayyyy....can you provide me with one then please?

Facilities: The temperature in the building is electronically controlled and we've been assured there are no issues in your area.

Me: Yeah, like I say, this is a 'me' thing rather than an office thing. Can I just have a desk fan?

Facilities: We've had a word and they've adjusted the temperature in your area; shouldn't be any more problems now.

Me: Why did you do that? There is no problem with the temperature, it's a 'me' thing. There are other people in this area to consider.

Facilities: No reply

Me: Can I have a desk fan please?

Facilities: We've spoken to occupational health. They've suggested you dress appropriately.

Me: They want me to take my shirt off?

Facilities: We've spoken to them again. They're going to come and see you to carry out an assessment.

Un. Fucking. Believable.

From the moment I first saw you that's exactly what I thought.

A factory that I used to fix equipment in' date=' told all of the warehouse lads that they could no longer listen to the warehouse radio because the company would have to pay for a broadcast licence.[/quote']

Do you work with me?

They recently let us have radios back and hailed it as a great day for us. Pricks.

Don't you just love corporate restructures.

We need to streamline and become more efficient so as we can cement our place in the market and drive forward future success. We are laying off all support staff.

6 months later. Why the fuck have we got someone earning £35k a year spending half a day photocopying? We need to hire some support staff.

Sat in a team meeting last week trying to explain to our new service manager, who has never once stayed out of hours to see what actually happens, the difficulties of trying to manage the work now that there is no-one in charge...

She: So, what do you think would be the best way to manage this?

Me: Have a shift manager

She: Well that's not going to happen!

Its not going to happen because they've spent 2 years and fuck knows how much money restructuring a service that now has managers who dont actually work alongside us and they would look pretty fucking silly if they have to admit they got it wrong after one day

Sat in a team meeting last week trying to explain to our new service manager, who has never once stayed out of hours to see what actually happens, the difficulties of trying to manage the work now that there is no-one in charge...

Its not going to happen because they've spent 2 years and fuck knows how much money restructuring a service that now has managers who dont actually work alongside us and they would look pretty fucking silly if they have to admit they got it wrong after one day

They'll offer it as a 'career development opportunity' but with no increase in salary within 6 months.

They'll offer it as a 'career development opportunity' but with no increase in salary within 6 months.

Meanwhile, we've now got 2 'Team Leaders' working day time hours who have no idea what they're meant to be doing to make up their hours. Madness

Team leaders are fucking useless. In my job they're just another obstacle in the way of getting a decision made.

These newly created Team Leaders are the old shift managers, although reduced in numbers. We're crying out for them and meanwhile they're twiddling their thumbs

Management in this country, whether in the public sector or the private, are almost universally inept and often shockingly so.

It's the biggest issue we face as a country, i think.

Why can the Germans and Japs etc generally get it right whilst we get it so wrong?

Baffling how some large companies in this country manage to get anything done. The company I work for doesn't, hence they're the 4th most successful company of a group of 4 in what they do and will always remain that way due to the general aura of fucktardedness around the place.

I'm always too hot, always have been. When I'm at home I wear shorts and a t shirt whatever the weather and I've always had a desk fan wherever I've worked. I've been in this job for 10 months and have been asking for a desk fan since I started.

Communication over the last 10 months:

Me (to facilities): Can I bring in a desk fan please? I get too hot and have always had one in previous jobs.

Facilities: Ooh no, we'd have to get it checked out and all that.

Me: Okayyyy....can you provide me with one then please?

Facilities: The temperature in the building is electronically controlled and we've been assured there are no issues in your area.

Me: Yeah, like I say, this is a 'me' thing rather than an office thing. Can I just have a desk fan?

Facilities: We've had a word and they've adjusted the temperature in your area; shouldn't be any more problems now.

Me: Why did you do that? There is no problem with the temperature, it's a 'me' thing. There are other people in this area to consider.

Facilities: No reply

Me: Can I have a desk fan please?

Facilities: We've spoken to occupational health. They've suggested you dress appropriately.

Me: They want me to take my shirt off?

Facilities: We've spoken to them again. They're going to come and see you to carry out an assessment.

Un. Fucking. Believable.

Great post number 16,380.

God you are fucking boring!

• Downvote 2