You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Saw something tonight that I haven't seen in a long time and it quite disturbed me. Went to the local supermarket and there was a guy huddled up near the trolley park begging with a little cap. The guy was shaking like a leaf, may have been from cold as it was below freezing, or something else.

The guy looked like a smackhead so I didn't give him anything and went into the shop. As I walked around the shop I began to feel more uneasy and wondered if I had rushed to judgement.

I find it quite upsetting that in one of the worlds richest countries we still have people in these situations. That said, I really get pissed off when I see these new age hippy type professional beggars - completely with mangy looking cur - basically scamming people for money.

The problem is how to tell the difference between someone who really needs help and someone who isn't as deserving.

The last time I saw anything like this was in Thatchers Britain not long after they introduced "care in the community", a misnomer of criminal proportions if ever there was one. I was working in that there London so had seen a fair few people begging for money. But one has stuck in my mind ever since, a relatively young man slumped in a doorway wrapped in a piece of cardboard - if you imagine Harry Potter semi-concious that should conjure up the right image - but totally oblivious to the hundreds of people walking past him and making no attempt to engage with anyone. It was clear to me that this guy needed help but I didn't know how so, like everyone else, I just walked away to my eternal shame.

It was good to see that Angel Rangel did something positive down in Swansea recently but what can the man in the street do to help these people? Should we try to help them?

Saw something tonight that I haven't seen in a long time and it quite disturbed me. Went to the local supermarket and there was a guy huddled up near the trolley park begging with a little cap. The guy was shaking like a leaf, may have been from cold as it was below freezing, or something else.

The guy looked like a smackhead so I didn't give him anything and went into the shop. As I walked around the shop I began to feel more uneasy and wondered if I had rushed to judgement.

I find it quite upsetting that in one of the worlds richest countries we still have people in these situations. That said, I really get pissed off when I see these new age hippy type professional beggars - completely with mangy looking cur - basically scamming people for money.

The problem is how to tell the difference between someone who really needs help and someone who isn't as deserving.

Instead of bunging the fella a few quid, get him a cup of soup or a warm sausage roll or summat, if he then gives you attitude cos he wanted money instead then it's time to kick the shyster in the bollocks.

That said, I really get pissed off when I see these new age hippy type professional beggars - completely with mangy looking cur - basically scamming people for money.

A lot of my illusions were shattered about 10 years ago when I saw one beggar, who regularly used to pester me on the way to work, sidle off into an alcove and whip out a better mobile phone than the one I had.

Some while later I saw this person getting a delivery of dog-eared Big Issues from a dodgy looking geezer. Likely part of an organised criminal gang.

If you want to help the needy, give money or assistance to a charity. They'll be the experts in discerning who is genuinely in need and who isn't.

Begging ain't what it used to be though. My girlfriend was in Italy and couldn't finish her pizza so she gave most of it to a vagrant, who grumbled and then proceeded to remove the toppings they didn't like. So I suppose beggars can be choosers nowadays.

I ran a contract for The Big Issue In The North a few years back. They shared an office with a few homeless shelter companies and some of the stories pissed me off about our country and government.

Because of the things I heard I started to buy a little bit of food and coffee on my lunches and pass them to someone who was begging for money. One night I'd had a few drinks and was sitting in Burger King when I had the idea of buying an extra meal and passing it out to someone I saw as I walked through town. Just by the Metquarter there was an old fella who was shaking like a shitting dog in the cold so I passed him a burger and chips. As I went to pass him a Sprite he asked me what it was, and I told him. His reply? "You can fuck off with that shite!" The policewoman nearby almost pissed herself.

Little known fact. Fabio Aurelio used to go out on Sunday nights to help dish up food at soup kitchens.

Guest San Don
Instead of bunging the fella a few quid, get him a cup of soup or a warm sausage roll or summat, if he then gives you attitude cos he wanted money instead then it's time to kick the shyster in the bollocks.

This, although I suppose if everyone started doing it we'd have some real fat bastard beggars about.

Seriously though, if you give them money as I have in the past, you dont know if they go and spend it on smack, booze or are just these 'professional' beggars.

Giving money to a charity eases the conscience (sp?) but you dont know how much of that actually gets where it's needed or how much is spent on 'admin.'

If you do want to give money, I'd suggest seeking out your local soup kitchen and asking the people who run it what they need in the way of supplies. Even buying them a box of plastic cups or a blanket etc will be useful and wont get lost in administrative shite.

A very Eastern European solution that strangely does not seem to be working very well

BBC News - Hungary outlaws homeless in move condemned by charities

Hungary outlaws homeless in move condemned by charities

Some 10,000 people are said to be homeless in the capital Budapest

Continue reading the main story

Related Stories

Hungary country profile

A new legal regulation has come into force in Hungary making homelessness punishable by a fine of around $600 (£384) or prison.

MPs from the ruling conservative party proposed the regulation, on the grounds that Budapest could not cope with the large number of people on the streets.

Critics, including charities for the homeless, say it is unenforceable and that hostels lack sufficient places.

The Hungarian capital is said to have some 10,000 homeless people.

According to an amendment to the local government act, passed by a strong majority in parliament last month, those found sleeping on the streets will first receive a warning.

They can subsequently be imprisoned or ordered to pay the fine.

'Stretched to the limits'

The move has provoked widespread criticism, including from Hungary's human rights ombudsman, the BBC's Nick Thorpe reports.

Miklos Vecsei, deputy head of the Hungarian Maltese Charity Service, said the law had not been passed on the basis of any rational or professional criteria but because the public were fed up with the homeless.

Budapest's capacity had been stretched to the limits but deep poverty needed to be cured, not banned, he argued.

The author of the law, Mate Kocsis, is an MP from the ruling Fidesz party and a district mayor in the city.

He argues that local councils should take responsibility for tackling homelessness, and points to new schemes and places in homeless hostels.

Homeless charities argue that this will still leave between 1,000 and 3,000 homeless people without shelter.

A series of demonstrations against the new law is planned.

I am sure that they want to go to prison. at least they would have a bed for the forseable. Crazy lunatics

The govt's argument is that homeless people are refusing to go to shelters and are freezing to death voluntarily. By threatening to criminalise them, they are actually saving their lives.

There is a degree of cynicism about this reasoning

A lot of my illusions were shattered about 10 years ago when I saw one beggar, who regularly used to pester me on the way to work, sidle off into an alcove and whip out a better mobile phone than the one I had.

Some while later I saw this person getting a delivery of dog-eared Big Issues from a dodgy looking geezer. Likely part of an organised criminal gang.

If you want to help the needy, give money or assistance to a charity. They'll be the experts in discerning who is genuinely in need and who isn't.

Begging ain't what it used to be though. My girlfriend was in Italy and couldn't finish her pizza so she gave most of it to a vagrant, who grumbled and then proceeded to remove the toppings they didn't like. So I suppose beggars can be choosers nowadays.

'Beggars with mobile phones' is right up there with 'guy on disability jogging to the shop', a load of bollocks passed around pubs and tabloids. A repetition of government propoganda meant to vilify societies weakest victims, so when they are finally scraped off the streets and exterminated we say thanks instead of what the fuck.

I once walked past a fella begging for money, so I bought him a butty and a cup of tea and he told me to fuck off. I now hate all begging twats and they can all freeze to death as far as I care.

Survival of the fittest and those fucks can eat each other while I'm all warm eating as much as I like.

If you really want to help, get in touch with your local winter night shelter or drop in centre and ask them what they need. You will be helping genuine rough sleepers that way, and won't need to worry that your time/money/food or clothing donation will go to someone who doesn't need it. If it's a specific fella begging in a shop doorway that you want to help, give him a couple of quid so he can determine what he needs most. If he is living on the street and chooses to spend it on booze or drugs to anesthetise himself against the cold, I can't personally blame him.